International IPR Management 2018
The “International IPR Management” course covers the fundamental aspects of intellectual property from business perspective. The course is organized by combining series of lectures and workshops by guest speakers for better understanding the IPR management through real issues in business scene. In order to facilitate effective interactive process in case based teaching, a number of enrolled students could be restricted. In this process, students in the TMI departments as well as those in TMI sub-major have some priority. .
2 Schedule tentative
１． Orientation;Watanabe Oct.1
2. Introduction; What is IP and IPR? From Business Perspective ; Watanabe Oct.15
3. Patent Management: Mr. Saito Oct. 22
4. Trademark and design; Dr. Yosioka Oct.29
5. Counterfeitings and pirates; Dr. Takano Nov.5
6. IPR related contract and Licensing, Watanabe Nov.12
7. Trade secret management; Dr. Hirai Nov.26
8. Case Study on IP Management Ⅰ,IP strategy of Spinoff, D.Okumura Dec.3
9. Employee invention management and University technology transfer; Watanabe Dec.10
10. Case study on IP management Ⅱ,Oizumi IPC Dec.17
11. Case study on IP management Ⅲ Dr.Jari Vaario, Nokia Jan.7
12. IP negotiation role play ⅠJan.21 Mr. Futamata
13. IP negotiation role play Ⅱ Jan.28 Mr. Futamata
14. final examination
3. Time and Place
From 18:45 to 20:30 at Lounge Lecture of Faculty of Engineering Building No.3
4. Complementary e-leaning Program
Students who register this course are required to study e-learning program “IP Panorama”.
Web site is http://www.wipo.int/sme/en/multimedia/
IP panorama was developed jointly by the Korean Intellectual Property Office (KIPO), the Korea Invention Promotion Association (KIPA), and the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) . IP PANORAMA was designed to help enterprises to utilize and manage Intellectual Property (IP) in their business strategy and deals with IP issues from a business perspective. It is helpful for students who know little about IP and how to utilize it in business scene.
For this class, six modules from 12 modules open on the site are selected as followings. All students are requested to study them for modules until final examination.
IP PANORAMA 01: Importance of IP for SMEs
IP PANORAMA 02: Trademarks and Industrial Designs
IP PANORAMA 03: Invention and Patent
IP PANORAMA 04: Trade Secrets
IP PANORAMA 06: Patent Information
IP PANORAMA 07: Technology Licensing in a Strategic Partnership
IP PANORAMA 11: Valuation of IP Assets
5. Homework assignment
Students are required to do homework assignment to prepare for some of classes. The homework assignments will be a combination of questions and exercises asking students to draw on readings, and internet resources. These assignments will be designed to foster interactive discussion and better understanding of the each topic. After the class, the homework assignment will have to be submitted.
6. Class reports
Students are requested to submit a class report at the end of each class. In the class report, write the important points which you have studied in the class into a one-page summary
7. Final Examination
Final Examination is a paper test regarding issues you learn in the classes and some of questions in IP PANORAMA
Evaluation will be made by weighted average of the following items
Class Participation : 30 %
Class Report : 30%
Final Examination :40%